photo :: Michael Butler, Jr.
“Beauty isn’t about having a pretty face. It’s about having a pretty mind, a pretty heart, & a pretty soul.” – Author unknown
In my humble opinion, presentation matters. How we present ourselves to society is important. However, outer beauty is null and void if inner beauty is lacking. You can have the best weave money can buy, the most snatched body, and face beat to the high heavens, but if your spirit and attitude are sour, then all of the aforementioned expressions of outer beauty are canceled. Throw the whole woman away!! With all of the negativity we encounter daily in 2018, we must make the conscious effort to keep out inner beauty popping and our spirits in tact.
Here are five ways to nurture your inner beauty so that your outer beauty shines even brighter.
1. PRAYER/MEDITATION :: Do we really have to talk about how vital this is?? Well, I’m going to anyway. Inner beauty starts with inner peace, and I don’t know about you, but I can tell when my spiritual life is a little off. I’m quicker to anger and I can feel quite unbalanced. Making time for daily devotions and prayer before I do anything in the mornings (that’s part of the reason I wake up so early) is extremely important. It keeps me grounded and gives me some principles to apply to daily life. It also gives me something to reflect on when someone tries to test my gangster. When you’ve got peace, you smile more, your attitude is brighter, and your light shines everywhere you go. Let’s sing it together, “This little light of miiinnnneeee….”
“Your beauty should not come from outer adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.” – 1 Peter 3: 3-4
photo :: Kim Thomas
2. SELF-CARE ISN’T SELFISH :: Self-care is a term that’s being thrown in everyone’s face lately. But I don’t tire of it because to me, self-care is just that crucial. It comes in many forms : spa days, doctor visits, staycations, etc. As working moms/women, we give pieces of ourselves to so many people and things, so it is vitally important that we replenish and pour back that which we so freely give. I’ve said this before, we CANNOT pour from an empty cup! Take time for you! You’ll be happier and it will show!
Beauty is about being the best possible version of yourself on the inside and out.
photo :: Kim Thomas
3. SLOW DOWN AND SAY NO :: We live in a very fast-paced world. Every time we turn around, there’s something new going on. However, you can’t be your best self if you’re spread so thin and always going here, there, and everywhere. Saying no keeps you sane and you don’t feel the pressure of obligation. And get this, you can even say NO to your kids! *gasp* I’m just saying. Here’s another gasp worthy thing: UNPLUG! We all have a certain level of
addiction attachment to technology (phones/computers/ipads), but taking the time to step away and focus on self shouldn’t be the last thing you think about. When we slow down and prioritize, life is more orderly, our stress levels are down, and our immune systems are strong! Saying no is a part of self-care. This busy, grinding philosophy some of you live by will have you sick from the inside out. Get it together. Andrea Fenise wrote a beautiful post about simplifying our lives on her lovely new blog, In Search of Our Gardens. You should definitely check it out.
photo :: Kim Thomas
4. DAILY AFFIRMATIONS :: I believe in the power of words. If we can speak it, we can believe it. What we believe, we hold dear, nurture, and protect. Daily affirmations are simple, positive statements declaring specific goals. Even on the most basic level, these empowering mantras have profound and lasting effects on the conscious and unconscious mind. Affirmations build self esteem and adds a little umph to your attitude and your day! If you do not have a few phrases that you speak daily to motivate yourself, you are truly missing out! Start with YOU IS SMART, YOU IS KIND, YOU IS IMPORTANT. *insert giggles* Let that marinate and build from there! Still need some help, go to iTunes and download CROWNED AFFIRMATIONS by Zii pronto (visit the website HERE)! Listen to these on your way to work and see if you notice a difference. Report back. I dare you!
“IT’S A GREAT DAY TO HAVE A GREAT DAY”
-Quaneshia of According to Q
5. EAT WELL & STAY ACTIVE :: As a nurse practitioner, I have the ‘how’s your eating?’ and ‘are you getting any exercise?’ conversations 27 times a day. Both have obvious health benefits, but they also are great for relieving stress and building strong self-esteem. You can think clearer and your insides will thank you. The phrase YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT is really true ladies. When you eat trash, you feel like trash. You’re tired, irritable, bloated, and uncomfortable with terrible skin. *Hands up* Don’t shoot the messenger! On the opposite end, when you’re monitoring what you put in your body, you look good (by your definition) and you feel even better. When you feel good, your attitude will reflect such. These RBFs aren’t all that cute, so don’t brag on that sweetie. You aren’t well on the inside. Tighten up and smile bih (in my Lil Duvall voice). Seriously.
photo :: Kim Thomas
According to Q, being your best self includes looking good from the inside out. Our inner beauty never needs makeup, and it shines through even on the worst hair day. A beautiful inner you captures the heart and compliments the outer beauty that captures the eyes! You’ll be healthier and happier and that’s more beautiful than anything. Life’s too short for it to be any other way. Holla if you hear me!
Cheers to living our best lives and cultivating inner beauty that shines bright like a diamond!